Friday, November 19, 2010

Poetic Song

Falling Slowly
By Glen Hansard

I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it known

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now


Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing it loud

"Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard, is a song that is very poetic. Glen Hansard works poetic devices well into his lyrics. "I don't know you, but I want you," this is an example of oxymoron. Then he uses personification in, "Words fall through me and always fool me." Words can not literally fall through someone. Personification is used again when Hansard sings, "Moods that take me and erase me." This song is full of symbols. The main symbol that is used repeatedly is "Taking this sinking boat and point it home," they are not literally on a boat, the sinking boat is a symbol of someone life going downhill and take they want them to get there life back on track. "Take this sinking boat" could also be referred to as figurative language. This song is an ode to someone who has lost their way in life and have made bad choices, you can tell this in the lines "Raise your hopeful raise you have a choice you've made it known," and then later in the song it changes to "Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice, you've made it now." With the two lines being compared, it sounds like the person had choice that they could have made but then decides to not make them. Glen Hansard song "Falling Slowly" is a very poectic song.

No comments:

Post a Comment